Translate

Saturday 3 August 2013

How to survive with little money and to do better after that? -- Book Review

From Dead Broke to Cash Rich by Noryanni Ismail.

One-Income Household, How to Do a Lot with a Little by Susan Reynolds with Lauren Bakken, CPA.

Just finished above two books, and feel that i ought to share it around especially those who suffered the same predicament i am in now.

Before i start, i would like to thank Noryanni Ismail, the writer for "From Dead Broke to Cash Rich" for sharing her journey in this book. Although i do not spend a cent buying the book, I have to thank her for enlightening me and coaching me by her steps in her book. Her story context is more relevant than the other, in location wise. Because what is happening in Singapore is almost what she is experiencing in Malaysia. Whereas Susan's context is more relevant for USA, so, a lot of social help she recommends is not relevant to us here.

How you wonder no matter how much money you earn, you always feel that Money is never enough?
Yes, i do earn very little, less than a thousand now with many little children to care for. My expenses when calculated is always higher than what i earn, everyday, i am living in the red in the records. Sounds bad enough. I always hope i can earn more, but when i have a chance, same problem arise. I looked at some of my customers few years ago, live in condominum, private housing, they earn by the thousands. But when i pick up their thrown away bills (so i can sell them as waste paper), i was so curious so i took a peep, their credit limit from credit lines, credit cards are at least $8000 each, and yet, they blew the credit limits, almost all of it. I was shocked, I know the family, they have no children, and with such a high salary, they should be living a better life than i do. I would had thought they have no heavy debts like i do. I thought they have a great life living debt free. I was so wrong.

As Madam Ismail mentioned in her introduction, money habits is the same with 90% of the whole world. When one earns more, one spends more, one tends to borrow on credit cards and personal loans. And with the increaseing number of credit cards and personal loans selling their services in Singapore, i should not be surprised more and more people no matter how much they earn, is getting into financial trouble, even though most of them didn't realised it, until they fell off the pestrdestral like what happened to me.

I will follow up with a number of posts for a summary of both these books, together with my experiences and path. I admit i am not in financial freedom yet, in fact, i am very much what they says, in financial shit.

Starting late is better than never.
I hope to see the light at the end of the tunnel soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment