Translate

Tuesday 23 July 2013

Contrary of Life

Today is buzzing with a lot of news around the world.


With Great Britain celebrating a royal birthday boy, and halfway across the globe in Japan with heart-warming  heroic story of saving a trapped woman between the platform and the train. It is a not a bad day after all.

However, Came across a disturbing article on Suicides occuring in Japan forests itself forwarded from a twitter friend. It's on dense Aokigahara Forest in Japan at famous Mt. Fuji.
It is a good message for those who are contemplating to take their lives in its stride.
I do hope there are more people like Azusa who positively feel that we should connect more on look, feel and touch of each other than just on the computer/tablets screens.

Article laid in Lost in Asia.


Here's the transript for those faint-hearted who do not want to feel the suspense of finding of the suicide corpse.

(The video is spoken in Japanese by Azusa Hayano, a Geologist).
"I've been living here for more than 30 years. My job is mainly environmental protection. I study volcanic eruptions. and the plantation at the foor of Mt. Fuji. In the year 864, Mr. Fuji erupted, and the forest that grew over the dried lava. Was named "Jukai" or "Sea of Trees." "Aokigahara" is the actual name of the place, but people started calling it "Jukai", because the forest, as seen from half way up of Mt. Fuji, is green all year round, and it looks like the ocean.

We're entering the forest now. There's a car that's been abandoned for a few months. Let's take a look. I'm assuming the owner of the car entered from here and never came out. I guess they went into the forest with troubled thoughts. In the old days in Japan, Suicide was mainly known as a samurai's act as in "Seppuku" (harakiri). In other cases, poor families would abandon their elders in the mountains. That's how it was back then. They weren't killing themselves because they couldn't adapt to society. That didn't happen like it does now. It's a modern phenomenon.

This is a sign to stop suicidal people.

"Your life is a precious gift from your parents. Please think about your parents, siblings and children. Don't keep it to yourself. Talk about your troubles."
Then it says to contact the Suicide Prevention Association.

Local don't commit suicide here. As children, they're told not to come near here. They're told it's a scary forest.

This path is open for the public, but you can't follow the trail beyong this point. It says not to enter, because you can easily get lost. In the Jukai, I think I've found more than 100 suicide corpses in the last 20 years or so.

<some pictures of past found corpses>

I found something strange. I'll show you.

05:15: People who are indecisive about dying, wrap this tape on trees along their way, so they can find their way out.

There's something that looks like tent.

I'm going to go see if there's anyone inside. Please wait here. No one's here. It seems like someone was here for a few days. The face that they brought a tent means they were still struggling. They spend a few days here figuring out if they want to die or not. If the body was discovered these tents would be taken away. So I guess the body hasn't been found yet. I think I see something over there.

06:56: In most cases, if you follow the tape, You find something at the end. Either you find a dead body, or you find traces that someone was there. You always find something.

<Upside down doll nailed to a tree>

We accidentally found this, but it's not a prank. They nailed this character upside-down as a symbol of contempt for society. No, it's more like a curse. The curse is nailed in. I think this person was tortured by society.

I think this was done by the same person. It says, "Suicide Note. The name is written here. I came here because nothing good ever happened in my life. Don't look for me." It's nailed like the other one. It must be the same person who did the doll. It's obvious that they were still hesitant to die. Normally, if you're determined to die, you come in and immediately hang yourself. When there's objects like these, it means that they're still hesitant to die. I actually think he might've gone home.

09:30: Was this rope used for hanging? It must've been used for something like that. It seems like it's been cut down. Maybe the body was discovered. This was connected. Four ropes were tied together and made a loop for the head. The body was discovered, so the rope had been cut. I think this person was very determined. The majority hang themselves, next would be sleeping pills, which are seldom successful. It takes about a day for them to die from weakness.

I thought I saw something, but it was just some vegetation.

What's this? A mirror. It's a woman's mirror.

It's a suicide manual. It's about the Jukai. It says "Don't underestimate the mysterious Bguddist monk." There's a Bhuddist monk who lives in the Jukai. The fact that she had this book means she was here for that reason.

There's a woman's umbrella, and a noose. There's a map over here, There was a woman's mirror over there. I think it was a woman's.

I've read in a book that hanging is the least painful way. I met a person who tried to hang himself, but he failed because it was too painful. Generally, you don't survive if you try to hang yourself. But he did it where his feet touched the ground. He survived with a scar on his neck.He was young, and I convinced him not to try it again. After talking for an hour or so, he gradually calmed down. Then went hom saying he didn't feel like dying anymore.

Let's check out that shadow...

13:35: <Convesation with a suspicious camper>
Azusa: Are you okay?
Camper: Yes.
Azusa: You're not allowed to camp here.
Camper: I am sorry.
Azusa: I'm the nature guard. I'm on a suicide patrol. How long are you staying?
Camper: Until tomorrow.
Azusa: Do you have food with you?
Camper: Yes i do. I'm sorry.
Azusa: I just hope you're okay. I'm just trying to prevent suicides.
Camper: Please take this way back.
Azusa: I'm sorry about the trouble.
Camper: Take your time to think, be positive.
Azusa: It was nice meeting you.

That man's tent was pitched in the middle of the trail. When I approached, he closed up the tent and hid inside.

At first he seemed scared, but the more we talked, he gained back some spirit, which often is the case.

It's really hard to tell what his motive was. He didn't look like a young man who likes to hike. I am a bit worried.
I think the way we live in society these days has become more complicated. Face-to-face communication used to be vital, but now we can live our lives being online all day. However, the truth of the matter is we still need to see each other's faces, read their expressions, hear their voices, so we can fully understand their emotions. To coexist.

16:46: <Skull>
Yes, we did find a skeleton today. I think it's about a year or two old.
You know, even if you stare at a suicide corpse, it can't attack you. So it's not terrifying. It makes me feel sorry for them, seeing how humans decompose. It rots and then starts to stink. Before it rots, parasites will hatch, and the flesh will disintegrate. I think it's impossible to die heroically by committing suicide.

Studying how people co-exist with nature is part of environmental research. I was curious why people kill themselves in such a beautiful forest. I still haven't found the answer to that.

I see some bouquets of flowers over here. There's also a box of chocolates. It must be fro mthe deceased's family or friends. They must have brought the flowers.

You think you die alone, but that's not true. Nobody is alone in this world.
We have to coexist and take care of each other. 

That's how i feel.
"




No comments:

Post a Comment